There are a lot of interesting facts about Cambodia to discover, here are the 10 most interesting facts about this beautiful country and its wonderful people.
1. The Cambodian flag is the only national flag in the world that has an image of a building – the Angkor Wat.
2. Half of Cambodia’s current population is younger than 15 years old.
3. It’s considered disrespectful to let your feet or soles to point at people or things, so the feet must be tucked in when sitting.
4. In Cambodia, the head is regarded as the highest part of the body and shouldn’t be touched even in the kindest manner.
5. Traditionally, birthdays are not celebrated in Cambodia. Older people might not even know their birthdays.
6. In recent times, the country’s biggest source of income has been the textile industry. The second largest source of Cambodian income is tourism.
7. Cambodia has one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. Between the years 1990 and 2005, the country has lost 25,000 square kilometers of forest.
8. Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot wanted all educated Cambodians to be dead so that nobody would oppose their rule.
9. During the four-year rule of the Khmer Rouge, one-fifth of Cambodia’s population was killed. They were mostly educated people, priests, and monks.
Today, in its latest government form, it is officially called the Kingdom of Cambodia.
10. My favourite fact about Cambodia I found is that there has never been a Mc Donald’s. However, they do have Burger King and their own version of Mac Donald’s called Lucky Burger. Check out the most popular food in Cambodia here.
|Seasons||Wet (May-Oct) / Dry (Nov-Apr)|
|Area||181 035 km2 / 69 898 sq mi|
|Voltage||230V Frequency 50 Hz|
Are you ready to venture around Cambodia and explore the country first hand yourself? Check this out.